Travel back to the Middle Ages with this tour around Girona and Besalu. You'll discover its Jewish past while you wander around streets and buildings full of history. You'll be surprised by what you find!
Girona & Besalu Day Tour
We'll meet at 9 am at Plaza de Sant Feliu in Girona, where we'll start the journey through time to medieval Girona and Besalu. During the tour, we'll learn more about the areas that were some of the most important Jewish communities in Spain.
Firstly, we'll go to Girona's Jewish neighbourhood and wander around the maze of streets, the steep narrow stairs, and perfectly conserved remains; both Roman and medieval. And to learn more about the city's heritage we'll visit the Jewish History Museum.
After walking through the neighbourhood, which is aptly known as "The Call" deriving from the Latin 'callis' meaning 'streets', you'll have an hour and a half of free time around Girona to eat at a local restaurant.
Once you've finished having lunch, we'll head 35 minutes away to Besalu. As soon as we arrive you'll be captivated by its heritage collection, one of the most beautiful in Catalonia. A fortified bridge, arches and stone houses make this town very special.
We'll explore the town for two hours and go in the only medieval Mikveh (a traditional Jewish bath) in the Iberian peninsula. And as we stroll through the streets of Besalu we'll also admire the exterior of the Sant Pere de Besalú monastery.
Finally, we'll return to Girona at 5 pm.
This tour will be carried out with a small group. There will be a minibus for a maximum of 7 passengers.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 15 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 50% of their maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit).
|Adults||Children between 3 and 12 years old||Children under 3 years old|
Children between 3 and 12 years oldUS$ 60.80
Children under 3 years oldFree
The activity takes place with a guide that simultaneously speaks in english and spanish.
English speaking guide.
Entry to the Jewish History Museum.
When to book?
Bookings are permitted up until 18 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
Plaça de Sant Feliu.