Follow in the footsteps of Christopher Columbus on this historic trail. Explore the places that the legendary explorer visited as he prepared for his great expedition to the Americas.
Huelva: On the Trail of Christopher Columbus
Having been picked up from your hotel, you'll begin your tour of the "lugares colombinos", the historic route of places in the province of Huelva that were visited by Columbus. As you make your way to Palos de la Frontera, your expert local guide will explain the fascinating history of this ancient fishing town.
Arriving in Palos de la Frontera, you'll follow in Christopher Columbus' footsteps, bringing you first to the 13th century Franciscan monastery known as La Rábida Friary. The Italian explorer and colonist stayed with the monks in this ancient stone building after his expedition request was rejected by the royals in 1490. It has been a Spanish National Monument since 1856.
From La Rábida, you'll follow the route to the famous Wharf of the Caravels. This museum is dedicated to telling the story of Columbus' journey, and is home to the reproduction of the Medieval Palos harbour from which the expedition set sail. Here, you'll find full-size copies of the three iconic ships that took part in that first voyage to the Americas: the Pinta, the Niña and the Santa María.
As part of the Wharf of the Caravels, you'll also have the opportunity to visit the Isla del Encuentro, or the "Island of Discovery", a recreation of the scenes that the adventurers may have found on their arrival in the "New World".
After exploring Columbus' trail around Huelva, you'll be returned to your hotel in the city centre.
Hotel pick up
When making your reservation, you'll be asked to select your preferred pick up point from the following hotels in Huelva:
- Hotel Senator Huelva (9:45 am)
- Hotel Exe Tartessos (9:45 am)
- Hotel Luz Huelva (9:45 am)
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
|Adults||Children between 4 and 11 years old||Children under 4 years old|
|English guided tour||
English guided tour
Children between 4 and 11 years oldUS$ 23.50
Children under 4 years oldFree
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english, although it may occasionally be done in two languages.
Local English speaking guide with expert knowledge of art and history.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
Entrance to monuments.
Food and drinks.
When to book?
Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.