See a new side of Lisbon on this free walking tour of the bohemian districts of Bairro Alto and Chiado. Poets and artists flock to these vibrant neighbourhoods - discover why!
Bairro Alto & Chiado Free Walking Tour Itinerary
Begin your free walking tour of one of Lisbon's most iconic neighbourhoods meeting your guide by the kiosk in Praça Luís de Camões. From here, you'll stroll through the Portuguese capital's colourful hilly streets, delving deep into Bairro Alto and Chiado.
Your route will take you to the famous Café A Brasileira - The Brazilian Lady Cafe - which is one of the historic city centre's most famous cafes, originally opened to sell coffee imported from Brazil and a favourite meeting point for artists, writers and intellectuals over the years.
Follow the emblematic route of the yellow tram, the Elevador da Bica, up to Bairro Alto, whose name literally means "Upper District" after its hilltop location. Strolling through the colourful streets and admiring typical tiled façades and cool street art, you'll reach Praça do Carmo where you'll find the ruins of a Medieval convent.
Descending to Praça Dom Pedro IV, or Rossio Square as it's also known, you'll be immersed in the elegant neighbourhood of Baixa Pombalina, which is unique in that it was one of the first places in the world to build earthquake-resistant buildings after being almost completely destroyed in the devastating Lisbon earthquake of 1755.
After admiring the historic São Domingos Church, your free walking tour will come to an end in Praça do Comercio, where you'll have an incomparable view of the river.
- It is not possible to reserve this free tour of Bairro Alto and Chiado if you're a group of more than 6 people. If this is the case, you should reserve a private tour instead.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult. There is a maximum of 3 children per adult.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 15 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
Free tours do not have a fixed price, rather each person offers the guide the amount they consider appropriate, depending on their level of satisfaction.
2 hours 30 minutes.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english.
English speaking guide.
When to book?
You can book up until 6 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
If you are not able to attend the tour, please cancel your reservation, otherwise the guide will be waiting for you.
Praça Luís de Camões.