Curral das Freiras, or the Nuns' Valley, is one of the most breathtaking places in Madeira. Discover why on this hiking route through the spectacular natural landscapes.
Nuns Valley Excursion
Having picked you up from your hotel in Funchal at 9 am, we'll make our way to the Picos dos Barcelos viewpoint, where we'll make a brief stop to enjoy the panoramic views of the city.
Continuing onwards, we'll reach Curral das Freiras: a small village located in the so-called Nuns' Valley. In 1566, pirates attacked the convent of Funchal and its nuns took refuge in this remote part of Madeira, earning its name. We'll embark on the hiking trail here, delving into the beautiful volcanic landscapes home to a wealth of plants and wildlife.
The walk will take us to the famous Eira do Serrado viewpoint, where we'll stop for 30 minutes to admire the unparalleled views of the Nuns Valley below. Lush rolling hills and the charming whitewashed houses of Curral das Freiras make for a postcard-perfect image!
After enjoying the panoramic views, we'll hike back down to Curral das Freiras, where we'll make the journey by minibus back to Funchal. You'll be dropped off at your hotel around 1 pm.
Who can participate?
The minimum age for this activity is 18 years old. This is a moderate route for which good physical condition is required.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 75% of their maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Per personUS$ 22.70
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english and other language.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
English speaking guide.
Transport by minibus.
When to book?
You can book up until 24 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility or pushchairs/strollers.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.