What better introduction to the essence of Pune than by doing a tour of its main attractions? On this free tour, you will encounter the magnificent Shaniwar Wada fort, wonderful local markets and much more besides.
We will meet at the main gate of Shaniwar Wada fort, before starting our free guided tour of Pune, one of the oldest cities in India. Whilst admiring the majestic façade of this fortress, you will hear all about the city’s origins and the most important historical events that took place here. Did you know that more than a thousand people lived inside the fort during the Peshwa dynasty?
Our free tour will continue to the birthplace and childhood home of the founder of the powerful Maratha Empire which governed the Indian subcontinent for almost two centuries. From here, we then head to the center of Pune to browse the local markets. Here you will find all types of magical local products, from food to handicrafts.
Along the route, you will encounter ancient buildings, harboring secrets that will all be revealed on this tour. We will also visit the Dagdusheth Halwai temple famous for its statue of the goddess Ganesha.
After learning about the origin of this deity with the body of a woman and head of an elephant, we will take you to a hidden corner of Pune. Although little-known, this location played an important administrative role during the British occupation.
Finally, we will bid you farewell near Bajirao Road, so you can continue to explore the city on your own.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 5 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Free tours do not have a fixed price, rather each person offers the guide the amount they consider appropriate, depending on their level of satisfaction.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english.
Guide in English
When to book?
You can book up until the previous day (11:59 pm) if there are still places available. Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
If you are not able to attend the tour, please cancel your reservation, otherwise the guide will be waiting for you.
Shaniwar Wada Fort.