Discover the ancestral traditions of the Mexican indigenous communities of San Juan Chamula and San Lorenzo Zinacantán on this tour from San Cristóbal de las Casas.
San Juan Chamula & San Lorenzo Zinacantán Tour
We'll pick you up from your hotel in San Cristóbal de las Casas at 9:45 am, and set off for the small Chiapas towns of San Juan Chamula and San Lorenzo Zinacantán, located to the west of the city. Both of these vibrant communities provide an incredible snapshot of indigenous pre-Hispanic culture, which you'll delve into on your guided tour.
Arriving in Chamula, you'll visit the famous Temple of San Juan Bautista. You'll be captivated by the contrasts between Catholic religious icons and decorations and the indigenous religious traditions. We'll also visit the local cemetery and see its colorful crosses, some of which are said to be Maya.
After visiting San Juan Chamula, you'll next make the journey to Zinacantán, where you'll witness Mexico's pre-Hispanic roots yet again as you visit the town and the Church of San Lorenzo.
What's more, you'll have the opportunity to learn all about the work of the women of Zinacantán, who weave uniquely beautiful textiles with a special loom attached to their belts. Having admired the traditional hupiles (ponchos) and blankets, you'll then have the opportunity to taste the local fare and try a local dish.
Then, we will make our way back to San Cristóbal de las Casas, where you'll be able to briefly see the Municipal Palace, the old convent of Santo Domingo, and the Church of Santa Lucía.
At the end of the tour, we will take you back to your hotel, arriving around 2:45 pm.
Please be respectful of the indigenous communities. Taking photos is not permitted in the temples or churches, nor in the general community.
This tour departs from San Cristóbal de las Casas. If you're staying in Tuxtla Gutiérrez, you can also book this day trip to San Juan Chamula and Zincantán from there.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 10 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 30% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 30% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit).
|Adults||Children under 5 years old|
Children under 5 years oldFree
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english and spanish.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
Transport by minibus.
English and Spanish speaking guide.
Entry to the community of Zinacantán.
When to book?
You can book up until 48 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
If you have any other questions please contact us.