The magic of Tunisia's desert, cultural heritage and beautiful architecture await you on this El Djem, Douz & Kairouan 2 Day Trip. Visit some of the country's most symbolic sites.
El Djem, Douz & Kairouan 2 Day Trip
Day 1: El Djem – Matmata – Douz
Around 7 am we'll pick you up from your hotel in Hammamet and head to the El Djem amphitheatre, a place that will surely leave you speechless. Did you know that it is the third largest amphitheatre in the world? It could hold up to 30,000 spectators who would go to watch the gladiator fights.
After listening to the curious ancient gladiator stories, we'll go to the Matmata cave-houses, in the Berber area. These houses, dug out of the mountains, serve as shelters for their inhabitants from the harshness of the desert. Here you'll have approximately one hour of free time to have lunch at a local restaurant (not included).
The tour will continue by entering the Douz desert, known as the gateway to the Sahara desert. While observing the extensive sandhills you'll have the chance to try out a quad bike ride or a camel ride.
After our adventure in the desert, we'll head to a hotel in Douz so you can rest and enjoy a delicious
Day 2: Douz – Chott Djerid – Oasis - Gafsa - Kairouan
Once you've had breakfast (not included) we'll go to Chott El Djerid, Tunisia's great salt lake. An impressive location that stretches for 250 kilometres (155 miles) from east to west.
Then we'll head to the Atlas range to visit the mountain oasis of Chebika and Tamerza. And having eaten in Gafsa, the final stop on the 2 day trip will be Kairouan, Islam's fourth holy city. We'll have the opportunity to admire the Great Mosque, an important place of worship in this religion.
The tour will end taking you back to your hotel in Hammamet.
- Tickets for the museums and monuments during the trip must be paid for at the ticket office. The total price adding up the cost of all the tickets is about € 15 (US$ 17.90).
- The camel and quad rides through the dunes are optional. The camel ride lasts one hour and costs € 15 (US$ 17.90) per person. The quad ride lasts 45 minutes and costs € 20 (US$ 23.80) per person.
The trip includes one night accommodation with dinner at the Hotel Sahara Douz or similar.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
This is a private tour organized for you and your partner, friends or family. Choose the date and the number of people to see the total activity price.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
Transport in a vehicle with air conditioning.
English speaking guide.
Dinner and accommodation at a four star hotel in Douz.
Entry to monuments and museums (€ 15 (US$ 17.90) approx.).
Breakfast and lunch.
Optional quad bike tour (€ 20 (US$ 23.80) approx.).
Optional camel ride (€ 15 (US$ 17.90)).
Drinks at the hotel.
When to book?
You can book up until 30 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.