Delve deep into Malaga's fascinating history on this guided tour of two of its oldest and most striking monuments: the Alcazaba and the Roman Theatre. A true trip back in time!
Alcazaba and Roman Theatre Guided Tour
Having started the tour in Plaza de la Marina, in the heart of Malaga's historic centre, you'll make the brief stroll over to the Visitor's Centre of the Teatro Romano, or Roman Theatre, located in Calle Alcazabilla.
Malaca, as the town was known during Roman Hispania, was home to extensive infrastructure dedicated to entertaining the public. Thanks to the informative visitor's centre, you'll get to know the history of the city's ancient customs and architecture, of which the Teatro Romano, Malaga's oldest monument, is undoubtedly a highlight.
Next to the centre you'll find the theatre's ruins, whose origins incredibly date back to the first century BC. As you explore its different levels and the various theatre areas that are preserved to this day, you can imagine the ancient Roman performances on the stage.
On the hill behind the theatre, overlooking its ruins, you'll find the Alcazaba, where your tour will make its next stop. This magnificent fortress, constructed in 11th century Islamic Iberia, was actually built using some of the materials from the then-abandoned Teatro Romano. The Alcazaba, which was also a residential palace, is a prime example of typical Al-Andalus architecture. Marvel at its stunning patios and gardens, and the intricate details of its archways and tiling.
You'll also be able to visit the battlements of the Alcazaba citadel walls. From here, you can enjoy fabulous panoramic views over the city, including of the nearby Gibralfaro Castle, another remnant of the area's Moorish history.
Following your guided tour of the Alcazaba, the tour will finish back in the centre of Malaga.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 10 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 50% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
|Adults||Children under 10 years old|
|English guided tour||
English guided tour
Children under 10 years oldFree
1 hour 30 minutes.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english.
English speaking guide.
Entrance to Roman Theatre.
Entrance to Alcazaba.
When to book?
Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
Plaza de la Marina, next to the Tourist Information point