Discover the beautiful historic center of Rio de Janeiro and the picturesque neighborhood of Lapa when you take our fascinating free tour.
Free Tour of the Historic Centre of Rio and Lapa
There are many hidden treasures to discover in the famous city of Rio de Janeiro. At 10:30 am, we will meet up in front of the main entrance of the impressive Municipal Theater to begin our free guided tour of the city!
After admiring the theater's magnificent exterior façade and learning all about the history of Cinelândia Square, we will continue our free tour through Rio de Janeiro along Rio Branco Avenue in the direction of the Confeitaria Colombo. There you will discover why this coffeehouse is a hugely popular tourist spot. We will also pass other iconic locations, such as the Arcos do Telles archway, the huge Praça Quinze de Novembro square, the elegant Imperial Palace, and the beautiful Old Cathedral of Rio de Janeiro.
We continue exploring other beautiful corners of the city including the neoclassical Tiradentes Palace, Largo da Carioca square, the Arcos da Lapa arch, and the famous Selarón steps. You will have the chance to get your photograph taken on these famous stairs decorated with colorful mosaics, before the tour comes to an end.
- Our free tour does not accept bookings for more than 6 people. If you are a larger group, you have the option to book our private tour of Rio de Janeiro.
- Minors must be accompanied by an adult.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 5 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
Free tours do not have a fixed price, rather each person offers the guide the amount they consider appropriate, depending on their level of satisfaction.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english.
English speaking guide specialized in the history of Rio de Janeiro.
Tickets for the public transport (from 4.30 Brazilian Reales €1, $1 USD approx.).
When to book?
Bookings are permitted up until 2 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility or pushchairs/strollers.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
If you are not able to attend the tour, please cancel your reservation, otherwise the guide will be waiting for you.
Municipal Theatre in Rio de Janeiro