The beautiful bohemian heart of Rio de Janeiro awaits you on this fantastic free tour of the Santa Teresa neighborhood. You will encounter beautiful mansions, traditional yellow trams, and numerous murals of urban art. Best of all - it's completely free!
Free Tour of Santa Teresa Neighborhood
Modernity and the past, luxury and art, all come together perfectly in Rio de Janeiro's most bohemian neighborhood. We will meet up at 11 am in next to the Cine Santa Teresa to begin our free tour of Santa Teresa.
We'll stroll through the picturesque cobblestone streets as you hear all about the fascinating history of the area. Santa Teresa became known as the bohemium enclave of Rio after a wave of artists moved here in the 1960s. During the tour, we will also enjoy fantastic views of the popular Christ the Redeemer statue.
Making our way past colonial houses, palaces, and the famous yellow trams of Santa Teresa we will arrive at Ruins Park. There, we enter the residence of Laurinda Santos Lobo, a colonial palace abandoned more than 50 years ago, which is a perfect example of the splendor of Brazil's belle époque. This completely restored space offers us a spectacular panoramic view of Rio de Janeiro and gives us a glimpse of what life was like in the old Empire of Brazil.
This guided tour also takes us to some of the neighborhood's principle murals of urban art. We will finish the tour at 1:30 pm in Largo dos Guimarães, in the heart of the neighborhood, so that you can return on your own to downtown Rio or take the opportunity to try a traditional lunch in one of the local eateries.
Our free tour does not accept bookings for more than 6 people. If you are part of a larger group, we recommend you to book our Santa Teresa and Historic Rio Tour.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 5 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
Free tours do not have a fixed price, rather each person offers the guide the amount they consider appropriate, depending on their level of satisfaction.
2 hours 30 minutes.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english.
English speaking guide specialized in the history of the Santa Teresa neighborhood.
When to book?
Bookings are permitted up until 1.5 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
If you are not able to attend the tour, please cancel your reservation, otherwise the guide will be waiting for you.
Cine Santa Teresa